Crock Pot Pork Roast

It’s getting warmer in my neck of the woods, which means that I’m consciously using my oven less and my crock pot more.  I’ve talked about how much I love my slow cooker in the past, and we figured a theme week of crock pot meals would be a good follow-up to our theme week on surviving the dinner prep hour!  This meal is super easy, and my kids all gobble it up.

Crock Pot Pork Roast

Ingredients:

2-3 pound pork roast (loin, shoulder, or tenderloin)

1 lb baby carrots

3-4 potatoes (red skinned are my favorites)

olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder or your favorite seasonings

Directions:

After breakfast, cut potatoes into wedges.  Turn crock pot on low, drizzle bottom with olive oil, and add potatoes and baby carrots.  Drizzle with olive oil again.

Adding ingredients in two stages allows the root vegetables to cook through all the way without toughening up the meat.

About three hours out from dinner, add pork roast on top of potatoes and carrots. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Stick your probe into the pork (because you do have a slow cooker with a temperature probe, right?) and cook on low until the middle of the pork reads 160 degrees. My slow cooker automatically switches to the warm setting when it reaches the desired temperature, and I’ll just let it keep things warm until we’ve gotten the table set and are ready to eat!

I learned from reading America’s Test Kitchen’s Slow Cooker Revolution that chicken and pork should always be cooked on the low setting if you want to avoid that tough, overdone crock pot meat that we all force ourselves to eat.  If you don’t have a slow cooker with a probe, it will probably take about 3 hours, but remember that whenever you open the lid to check, you’ll need to add another 20 minutes of cook time to compensate for the heat you just lost.

Stay tuned tomorrow for a chance to win a prize and help out for next month’s theme week!

(This post contains affiliate links.)

Posted in Good Food, Practical Housekeeping. Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post. Leave a trackback.

6 Responses to Crock Pot Pork Roast

1. Erin says:

Do you like the recipes in Slow Cooker Revolution beyond what you are planning on highlighting this week? Would you recommend it? I love the idea of the slow cooker, but only love about 3 of the recipes I’ve tried from Fix it and Forget It.

2. Emily says:

You know, I feel like I learned a lot from the cookbook (which I borrowed from a friend), but Cook’s Illustrated/America’s Test Kitchen recipes are often a little fussy for me (and many were a little sophisticated for my kids’ taste). They WORK a lot better than your typical dump-it-all-in recipes in Fix It and Forget It or Make It Fast, Cook It Slow (the latter was so bad that I resold the book within a month). Slow Cooker Revolution really did revolutionize the way I use my crock pot–today’s recipe is one I used to do where I threw everything in at once and cooked the heck out of the pork in order to get the potatoes cooked enough. The book helped me to figure out how to adjust a lot of my old crock pot recipes (and even some conventional recipes) to actually work out and taste good. But I don’t think I actually have any Slow Cooker Revolution recipes in my rotation at the moment!

• Jackie says:

I would agree with Emily–the cookbook teaches you a lot about how to use a slow cooker. I haven’t liked all the recipes and some have such short cooking times (3 hrs) that I don’t see the point of using a slow cooker, but many are good. I’m a big fan of their technique for slow cooked roasted chicken. Overall I do tend to like America’s Test Kitchen (although I’ll admit some of their recipes are fussy), but I also have the weird kids who ask for shrimp curry every other week and tell people marinated olives are their favorite food. 🙂

3. Erin says:

Sounds like I should borrow it from the library!

4. Elsa says:

I don’t usually like branded cookbooks but I like a lot of recipes in this Crock-Pot cookbook: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1412725844?cache=d42666cc0a9d704d4dcc74af8e15c0c6&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1402680675&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

It is kind of a midpoint between the fussy ATK style and the not-fussy-enough dump-and-go stuff. Quite a few recipes call for pre-browning the meat or adding something extra at the end, but nothing too strenuous.

5. Elsa says:

Oh, and for all of us with a probe-less slow cooker, IKEA sells a rather nice probe thermometer/timer for very cheap.