Happy Friday! Well, I’d promised you pictures of all the DIY projects I was going to do this fall to get ready for moving into this new home, but they didn’t really happen. And I’m still in the throes of unpacking and figuring out where all the stuff needs to go in the new place, so the few projects I have done aren’t photo ready yet. Here’s one little project that I managed to complete last week:
This lovely piece of original artwork was created for my girls by their Aunt Jennifer, the talented artist responsible for this blog’s artwork. This is the first time the three of them are living in a room that wasn’t their brother’s first, so I wanted to embrace the chance to go girlie and use pink! When I went frame shopping, the store was low on the size of frames I wanted. I ended up settling for this white frame, but the light mat that came with it would have totally washed out the ballerina. I fully intended to go find a pink mat for the picture before we moved out to the rural small town where we now reside, but it somehow didn’t happen. And when I looked at buying pink mats online, they were ridiculously expensive. So I decided to pull out the kids’ watercolors and paint the mat pink myself! It’s not perfect, but I actually kind of like that since Jennifer’s work is one-of-a-kind, the mat is unique, too. It’s definitely so much better than black or white at pulling out the pink in the artwork, and it gives the girls’ bedroom wall a distinctly girlie feel. And it was a free solution, with supplies I already had on hand.
(And of course, while I avoided having to drive back to civilization to find a frame store for this mat, the next day, one of the kids broke the glass in my largest picture frame, and I’m going to have to drive back to civilization to find a frame store where I can replace the glass in this frame. Sigh. You win some, you lose some.)
Next week, I’ll try to take some pictures of the curtains my mom and I dyed (!) for the girls’ huge sliding door windows!
Have a lovely weekend!