When we bought our house, it was listed as having one less bedroom than it actually has. The reason is that the final bedroom is set up to be used as an office, which is how we will be using it (my husband finally gets his own office!), but because of that, they had removed the door. We had asked the previous owners if they had the door, and they said no.
Fortunately for us, they were wrong. It was in the basement, covered in 60s paint and a good layer of mold.
We tried chemical stripper first. What a smelly mess.
Then, our neighbor who renovates houses for a living and a hobby loaned us his heat gun. I’m in love. I’ll never use the chemical glop again.
(To be fair, this is after heat gun and power sander and hand sanding the corners. This is a job for somebody with lots of free time.) YouTube has tons of helpful and unhelpful videos about how to do this, if you’re truly curious. But if you run across a guy telling you to get chemical stripper out of detail work using kitty litter, DON’T DO IT.
After trying linseed oil on one of the edges, we decided to stain the door a little darker than the wood is naturally. We have no idea what kind of wood it is. We’ve heard that chestnut was used for a lot of these old doors in this area of the country, but ours is some kind of hardwood core with a veneer of something else. No clue.
We bought new hinges and new doorknobs, and my husband installed it.
I love it. So much. Which is good, because I think I put about 40 hours into it. The next one should go faster. Really.
I love it so much that I took the next door off the linen closet to try to get it done this fall while the kids play outside. Let’s see…if I do 2 doors a year and there are 20 doors (not including the beautiful front doors, which have been painted maroon)…